Monday, June 25, 2012

meet jessica.

Hey! I'm Jes from IDK My BFF Jes. My blog is about my adventures and miss adventures at life, love, fitness, and everything in between. I love being in the kitchen, running, working out, pole dancing (new hobby...for sport, not $$), love, and I would love to be your new BFF!
Hey!
I am so honored that the little lovebirds let me into their blog nest for one day! The Little Lovebirds is one of my favorite blogs because it's dripping with love and positivity. Who doesn't love that? And how precious are Elease & Joel? Presh.to.death! I find their love inspiring and something that I def hope to have again one day.

Now let's get to it!

When my love bird flew the coop a while back, I'm not going to lie, I was in panic mode:
  • What, the EFFFF?
  • Now what?
  • Am I ever going to get married? No really, am I?
I don't have answers to those questions because I realized that I just can't be bothered with them. So I decided to be my own love bird until my counterpart comes along.

I know, I sound cray, but stick with me on this.

Things are different when you are a lonesome dove: You don't have someone to cuddle with, no more automatic date nights, and you don't get as many gifts.

Well, I think that is just redic. Just because I don't have a loverboy doesn't mean that I have to miss out on all the dating fun. So what am I gonna do about it? Date myself, duh. (minus the spooning). There are many positive aspects to being single and your own date!

I take myself on movie dates all the time, and I love it! I always get to go when I want and see what I want too! No more feeling guilty for convincing someone to accompany me to the latest chick flick, or having to take one for the team and going to a movie that I think looks super lame (Semi-Pro anyone?).
Studio Movie Grill is the only way to go!
I don't really take myself on dinner dates (except Freebirds), but I do get meals from my fave restaurants to-go. My fave weekend date night involves picking up some RA Sushi and renting a movie. It's so nice to get to eat what I want all the time! Long gone are the dates of compromising and going to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game! Oh, and fro-yo. I almost always get dessert on my dates. I can eat all I want without getting that "Did you seriously just go half fro-yo and half candy bar...for 15oz?" Because yes, yes I did.


I always got so much satisfaction cooking for boyfriend, but the cooking has fallen off a little bit. I have really made a point to cook something new every weekend, because you know what? I deserve a meal made with blood, sweat, and tears...sometimes literally. Plus it keeps me on my a-game for when I do have a new lovebird.

Another great thing? I have tons of time to workout. I have always loved working out, but I found that I loved spending time with boyfriend even more (he often worked over time, so I would skip on the days that he would actually be home). But now? I don't have to cater my schedule to anyone but me.
Body Pump, running, and cardio are my fave!
Oh, and about the gifts. I buy myself gifts regularly. I celebrate all kinds of ridiculous things: nonaversaries, breakupiversary, blogiversaries, roommateiversaries, and workaversaries. Basically, if you can add "iversary" onto it, then I'll celebrate it! Another fun thing? When I do online shopping I always opt for the gift message. I love getting the little note that always something sweet and ends with "xoxo, Jes."
I got this for my breakupiversary
The moral of the story: Enjoy the you time while you can. Yeah, some days being a single girl sucks, but make the best of it! Someday you will have a lovebird again, and eventually baby birds, and then you'll miss the self bonding time you once had.

Do you date yourself?

What's your favorite self date activity?

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder how it would be like if I was single, although being with my loverboy (yes I call him that) is amazing, I still see good things about being single (especially after reading this). Glad youre enjoying your singlehood. I enjoyed 2 years of it before we found each other :)

    xo,janmloves.blogspot.com
    The $50 Shabby Apple Gift Card Giveaway on my blog is almost over so make sure to enter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and my favorite date with myself is when I go shopping ;)

      Delete
    2. You should ditch loverboy and find out! kidding. Don't do that!

      Delete
  2. ummm sounds fantastic, everyone needs days like that no matter what. :)

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And I must admit that I still took myself on movie dates even when I was dating. Sometimes it was best to spare boyfriend from having to watch Twilight multiple times in the theater.

      Delete
  3. I love me time too. I make sure to have it even though I've been married for almost three years. Cute post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you still make time for yourself even though you are wifed up!

      Delete
  4. Allison HutchersonJune 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM

    I recently (like a week ago) got out of a 5 year relationship. I have been a little down in the dumps lately, but reading your blog just cheered me up. I can't wait to getting back to me time. Good call Jes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice that when I was doing my daily facebook creepin. After 5 years it's hard to know what to do with yourself. I basically retreated to the safety of my friends house (I lived in their spare bedroom for 3 months since Daniel and I had a lease together. It was hard for me to get out and do anything. In fact most of my friends didn't even know for a few months that anything had happened because I basically dissapeared. But with time that got better and I was able to function again. And eventually I learned to appreciate doing what makes me happy all the time. That's not to say I don't call my parents regularly and cry about how I'm never getting married, but I figure I might as well make the best of it. So hang in there! It's going to be rough for a while, but I know you'll come out of this just fine!

      Delete
  5. Great post, Jes! I have to say, enjoy your single life while it lasts--you're too good of a catch to be on the market too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I guess I'm half off the market since I'm your sister wife! I wonder if my husband will need to ask Steven for my hand in marriage? I guess we have time to figure that one out. haha.

      Delete